As cruising is starting to open up around the world, with so many happy announcements, I wanted to share one of my favorite articles comparing ocean and river cruises. As both type of cruising are opening back up, it only makes sense to focus on what each of the benefits are, so you can decide where your next cruise will sail to. Enjoy!
On an Ocean cruise, you sail through big bodies of water like Atlantic Ocean and
Mediterranean Sea. The amount of sailors onboard can range from 600-6000+.
1. Onboard Areas– More ship tonnage means more space for public areas (escape
rooms, skating rinks, race cars, and conference centers for larger groups)
2. Grand Stage Entertainment– Ocean ships also have larger stage areas where
Broadway and Broadway-style productions are able to be performed, as well as
typical onboard entertainment such as magicians and comedians
3. Extensive Eating and Shopping Venues– So many places to eat and shop aboard an ocean cruise ship because of the extra square footage. I love having the choices
because no matter what your mood is, you can find something aboard to indulge
On a River cruise, you sail on just that–a river such as the Mississippi, Danube, or Chobe. The amount of sailors onboard usually maxes out between 150-200.
1. Personalized Service– Because there is a smaller amount of passengers aboard, the crew is able to get to know you so much better and cater to your needs
2. Closer to City Centers– Many city centers were built close to the river as a means
to increase commerce and trade–for you, this means you’re not traveling an hour
or more to get to your desired destination
3. Excursions included– At least one excursion is included with river cruises, making it a more inclusive product than ocean cruising
Now what stands out the most to me, other than little to no motion sickness symptoms, is that you’re able to see much more of a country by river cruising than ocean cruising. You’re able to see multiple countries, but also multiple cities within those countries. And it’s not just city centers, you’re seeing the countryside by the river–swans, mistletoe, castles, fishermen shacks, grape vines; so many unique elements you get to experience as you sail through the countries.
This is why river cruises win the showdown for me. Plus, the convenience of the river cruise lines being able to bring both local and authentic ingredients and entertainment onboard 🙂 Would the river cruise win in your showdown?
Let's Set Sail
Ready to find out if a cruise retreat is the right fit for your company or business? Schedule your complimentary consultation session with me to get started, and get all your questions answered.